Getting tired of eating chicken to get your protein in? Try these 25 Amazing Non-Meat Sources of Protein! Just say no to bland chicken and mix it up a bit!
This post contains affiliate links
In the world of diet and fitness, the idea of eating protein seems to be crammed down our throats… EAT YOUR PROTEIN they say…
But Why? I have no desire to look like a beefed up she-man. It turns out to get the sleek trimmed down nicely toned bod I’m going for, Protein is a BIG part of that!
Here are the top 3 things you need to understand about protein…. (AWESOME article found here on bornfitness.com)
- Protein is the building block of muscle construction… More muscle tone = better metabolism… If you don’t get enough protein you’re in for trouble! It will cause muscle depletion and all sorts of other nasty problems you don’t want or need.
- The base amount of protein you need is more than the required RDA states! Basically, if you sit on your bum all day and have no desire to lose weight or tone anything you are perfectly ok with the recommended 50g of protein… Otherwise, a good rule of thumb is 1.2-2 grams of protein for every 2.2 lbs of body weight for an active individual looking to lean up. (Example let’s take my body weight of 131 lbs divide that by 2.2 you get 59.5 then you multiply that by 1.5 to get the grand total of 89 grams of protein I should be consuming to get the hot bod I’m going for.) Just some simple math 😉
- Your body needs different kinds of protein… Just eating rice with protein won’t cut it just like eating only chicken won’t cut it either you need to mix it up! — This is where I come in!!
So here you are 25 AMAZING sources of protein to help you pound the protein… Cuz let’s face it 89 grams is A LOT!!!
FYI All my sources clock in under 250 calories per serving!
- Cottage Cheese 12 grams in 1/2 Cup Serving
- Hard Boiled Egg – 1 Egg = 6 grams
- Protein Shakes 1 scoop of protein = 27 grams
- Hummus 2 TBS = 2 grams — pretty high for a DIP
- Lunch Meat & Cheese Stick Roll Up =16 grams
- Reduced Sodium Beef Jerky = 1 oz serving =14 grams
- Edamame 1 Cup = 17 grams
- Protein Bar Snack Size Variety around 200 Calories = 10-14 grams of protein
- Celery + Natural Peanut Butter (2 TBS)= 7 grams
- Greek Yogurt 1 Cup = 23 grams
- Almonds 21 — (count em’ out) = 5 grams
- Egg Whites 6 — 21 grams
- Pumpkin Seeds 1/4 cup = 10 grams
- Black Beans 1/2 Cup = 8 grams
- Oatmeal 1/2 dry = 6 grams ‘
- Peanut Butter Protein Bites — Recipes Found HERE 2 grams per bite
- Protein Pancakes Recipe Found HERE = 10.8 grams
- Cinnamon Crunch Chickpeas Recipe Found HERE = 14 grams — these look AMAZING!
- Protein Popcorn = Combine 3 cups air-popped popcorn with 1/2 Scoop Protein Powder to coat = 16.5 grams
- Wheat Berries 1/2 Cup Serving = 6 grams (instructions on how to cook up these yummies can be found HERE)
- Western Bagel Alternative Bagels & 2 TBS Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese = 11 grams
- 8 oz Glass of 1% Milk = 8 grams
- Quinoa 1 Cup Cooked = 8 grams
- Tuna 6oz can = 22 grams — Mix with 1 wedge laughing cow cheese (2g) & mustard!
- Broccoli & Spinach each have 6 grams per 1 cup serving not too shabby!
Well, there you have it, folks! My list of some new and not so new ways to eat your protein! – To help you out I made a list of my favorite pantry protein staples I order from Amazon! Yumminess at your door in 2 days?! Does it get any better?
Links to Purchase for Yo’ Self!
1. Whole Almonds :
2. Isopure 100% Whey Isolate Protein Powder
3. Kind Bars:
6. Perky Jerky
10. Quest Bars