Kids need to be active and play! It is so important for their overall health and well being here are 50 creative and fun ways to get your kids moving!
I remember growing up and leaving my house at the crack of dawn to meet the other neighborhood kids to play. We would run and laugh, breezing through each other’s houses to grab a much-needed snack and then right back outside for more fun! There was no limit and our imaginations could take us anywhere. I have so many memories of playing until the street lamps would flicker on and then head home satisfied after a long day of playing.
Not to sound like a grouchy old grandma, but man – the kids these days. I have to set timers on my kids’ devices to remind them that there are other things in this world besides TV, Minecraft, and Fortnite. Am I alone on this? I am sure your kids love heading outside, playing and riding bikes all day, and if so you’re doing awesome! But if you’re like me and need some ideas on how exactly one gets said kids off the couch, then stick with me! As I was preparing today’s post I came across this Fortnite parody from the Holderness Family, so good to know I am not the only parent frustrated with the Fortnite struggle 😉
Because kids need to be active! It’s vital to your children’s health and well being! Kids need to move to stay fit and healthy and to release built up energy! Studies have shown that exercise builds strong muscles and bones, helps control weight, decreases the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, improves sleep, and helps children have a better outlook on life. (kidshealth.org)
In an effort to help promote a healthy and fit lifestyle for kids and to help my own kids find ways to free their eyes from screens, I’ve rounded up 50 Ways to get your kids moving and active. Active kids make for healthier kids so make a goal and commit to squeeze in time for play and being active.
- Hop Scotch
- Four Square – We played this the other night and my kids had SOOO much fun!
- Phineas and Ferb Workout – Kids love this one because – screen time! I love it because they are still being active!
- Kick Ball
- Tennis – grab some rackets and hit the courts. I just feed tennis balls to my kids and then I had them run down balls if they missed.
- Step 2 It Challenge
- Basketball – play a simple game of horse or pig!
- Ring Around the Rosie – perfect for littles
- Simon Says
- Red Rover
- Bike Ride
- Take an after dinner walk – play I Spy!
- Take it to the Curb for step ups.
- Take on The Marathon a Month Challenge!
- Hula Hooping – make it a game.
- Grab some jump ropes and jump it out.
- Make an obstacle course – Take turns setting it up.
- Go for a hike.
- Wiffle Ball
- Miniature Golf
- Plan a scavenger hunt.
- Plant a garden.
- Jump on the trampoline.
- Grab some skates or roller blades.
- Handstand contest… this is a riot.
- Climb trees! – when was the last time you did this? Make sure they’re sturdy. 😉
- Water balloon Volleyball – you play with sheets and water balloons!
- Tug O’ War
- Toss the Football around.
- Two-legged races
- Egg Walk Relays – who can not crack the egg!
- Indoor Rock Climbing
- Go to an Indoor Trampoline Park – talking about burning energy!
- Dance Party! Nothing beats an impromptu dance-a-thon.
- Have your kids lead you in a “work out”. So fun.
- Set up the ole’ Slip-n-Slide.
- Run through the sprinklers.
- Duck Duck Goose! An oldie but a goody.
- Take a walk and play Don’t Step On The Crack.
- Hit the Park and cook up a workout at the park. Or just PLAY!
- Take Twister outdoors!
So there you have it, 50 delightful ways to get your kids moving and active. Do you have even more ideas, I’d love to hear them! Please share your favorites with me. I am always looking for more ways to help keep my kids active.