There was no need to have a lengthy list of Activities For Kids, we entertained ourselves.
I remember growing up and leaving my house at the crack of dawn to meet the other neighborhood kids to play. We would run and laugh, breezing through each other’s homes to grab a much-needed snack and then right back outside for more fun! There was no limit, and our imaginations could take us anywhere. I have so many memories of playing until the street lamps would flicker on and then head home satisfied after a long day of playing.
Not to sound like a cranky old grandma, but man – the kids these days. I have to set timers on my kids’ devices to remind them that there are other things in this world besides TV, Minecraft, and Fortnite. Am I alone on this? I am sure your kids love heading outside, playing, and riding bikes all day, and if so, you’re doing fantastic! But if you’re like me and need some ideas on how exactly one gets said kids off the couch, then stick with me! As I was preparing today’s post, I came across this Fortnite parody from the Holderness Family, so good to know I am not the only parent frustrated with the Fortnite struggle 😉
Because kids need to be active! It’s vital to your children’s health and well being! Kids need to move to stay fit and healthy and to release built-up energy! Studies have shown that exercise builds strong muscles and bones, helps control weight, decreases the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, improves sleep, and helps children have a better outlook on life. (kidshealth.org)
To help promote a healthy and fit lifestyle for kids and help my own kids find ways to free their eyes from screens, I’ve rounded up 50 Activities For Kids. These are fun and unique ways to get your kids moving and active. Active kids make healthier kids, so make a goal and commit to squeezing in time for play and being active.
- Hop Scotch
- Four Square: We played this the other night, and my kids had SOOO much fun!
- Phineas and Ferb Workout – Kids love this one because – screen time! I love it because they are still being active!
- Kick Ball
- Tennis – grab some rackets and hit the courts. I just feed tennis balls to my kids, and then I had them run down balls if they missed.
- Step 2 It Challenge
- Basketball – play a simple game of horse or pig!
- Ring Around the Rosie – perfect for littles
- Simon Says
- Red Rover
- Bike Ride
- Take an walk after dinner – play I-Spy!
- Take it to the Curb for step-ups.
- Take on The Marathon a Month Challenge!
- Hula Hooping – make it a game.
- Jump Rope Grab some jump ropes and jump it out.
- Make an obstacle course – Take turns setting it up.
- Go for a hike. I love using the Alltrails app to find trails near me that are a good length and ease for kids!
- Wiffle Ball
- Miniature Golf
- Plan a scavenger hunt.
- Plant a garden.
- Jump on the trampoline.
- Grab some skates or rollerblades.
- Handstand contest… this is a riot.
- Geocaching. There are some terrific apps that are very easy to follow and find the hidden gems that are all around you!
- Climb trees! – when was the last time you did this? Make sure they’re sturdy. 😉
- Water balloon Volleyball – you play with sheets and water balloons!
- Tug O’ War
- Toss the football around.
- Two-legged races
- Egg Walk Relays – who can not crack the egg!
- Indoor Rock Climbing
- Go to an Indoor Trampoline Park – talking about burning energy! I can usually find a coupon on Groupon!
- Dance Party! Nothing beats an impromptu dance-a-thon.
- Have your kids lead you in a “work out”. So fun.
- Set up the ole’ Slip-n-Slide.
- Run through the sprinklers.
- Duck, Duck Goose! An oldie but a goody.
- Take a walk and play Don’t Step On The Crack.
- Hit the park and cook up a workout at the park. Or just PLAY!
- Take Twister outdoors!
- Ax Throwing: My Teens love it!
Tatum and I recently discovered Frying Pan Ball. It has fast become a favorite, and it is great because you can play it indoors! I love an active game that you can play no matter what the weather looks like!
So there you have it, 50 Activities For Kids. I hope you love these delightful ways to get your kids moving and active. Do you have even more ideas, I’d love to hear them! Please share your favorites with me. I am always looking for more ways to help keep my kids active.