Feeling a little overwhelmed?! Then come check out these 7 EASY ways to find time for you!! Taking a break will help you ROCK your gig as Mom!
Being a mom is amazing and I love every minute of it! Okay, okay maybe not All the minutes because let’s be honest – these little/growing humans take a lot out of us!
We give and give all day long! Of course, they repay in hugs and kisses and generally just being adorable. But that does not change the fact that I’m generally exhausted by the end of the day. With my kiddos getting older I do have more breaks than I used to so if you’re a younger mom please know that the endless days of diapers and wiping noses will end sooner than you think.
But I still am giving to these kids of mine at such a high level that taking time for myself is a must. I think the older your kids get the “wearing you out” they do become more emotional and less physical but it’s still exhausting.
I remember when I was a young mom that finding time for myself would set me up for a self-imposed guilt trip and I would feel bad for being “selfish”. But after a while, I realized that by taking that time for myself I become more patient and able to handle “mom life” with more zest and energy of soul. Self-care is no joke and should be taken SERIOUSLY!
Don’t get me wrong, being a mom is not easy and every day presents new challenges but it also presents new opportunities to laugh and to enjoy these kids that call me Mom! One of my favorite quotes comes from Marjorie Pay Hinkley, “In life, there are always two options, you can laugh or you can cry. I prefer to laugh, crying gives me a headache.”
So to ensure that I keep laughing continue to have patience with my kiddos, finding ways to take breaks are a MUST! To help give you some ideas I’ve compiled a list of my top 7 ways to take a break! Hopefully, these ideas will keep you sane, laughing and soaking up all the joys that come with motherhood.
7 Much Needed Mom Breaks
- Put yourself in time out. Sometimes when I find myself losing my cool, I tell my child to give me 5 minutes. Sometimes it’s me that needs a time out and not my kids. By giving myself 5 minutes of alone time I can take a break to breathe and think things through. This ensures that my parenting is always coming from a place of love and patience and not frustration and anger.
- Book an appointment for a special luxury. If you’re a facial gal, do that. Or if you like massages, do that. Whatever your favorite way to be pampered, find the time to do it! I am CHEAP so paying to do something like this is hard for me, especially when our budget has been tight. But I promise it is worth the investment in yourself. It will feel so good to be pampered for a little bit. If you are on a tight budget scour Groupon or other deal sites where you can usually you can find great deals on pampering sessions in your area.
- Work out. There is a strange thing that happens when you start working out regularly. Instead of being exhausted, you actually begin to have MORE energy! Find 30 minutes every day to MOVE. And another added bonus is that you can work out all your mom frustrations at the gym. I love a good run or a lifting weights session for this.
- Connect with other moms. As women, oh how we need each other! So make plans for a fun night out. Sometimes I find myself feeling antisocial and I just want to stay home and be a hermit. But then every time I make the effort to hang with friends I come back feeling lightened. Girl’s Nights are a MUST! If you do not have any local friends, or making friends is hard (been there) find a support group online. There are so many great ways to connect digitally with other moms as well.
- Dive into a GOOD Book. Now that my kids are getting older it’s so important for them to see my LOVE of reading. So what better way than for them to see me curled up with a good book! Sometimes escaping with a good read is all I need to feel more relaxed. Find an author or a genre you love. There is no shame in a good teen vampire romance.
- Spend some time outside. Sometimes when I’m feeling tired and need to take a breather I sit outside on our patio and enjoy just being outside. Feeling the sun on my face and the fresh air does wonders for the soul. For added relief take a walk, go for a run or head to the mountains for a hike. All have healing benefits when we reconnect with our Mother Nature.
- Treat Yo’self. This mom gig is not for the faint of heart, so to keep me feeling good and my energy high I like to treat myself! One of my favorite ways to treat myself is with new workout gear. It feels so good to buy a new pair of sneakers or leggings, or a cute sports bra or tank. Adidas is one of my favorite “go to” shopping spots. Their stuff always fits great and is reasonably priced. I love to get my kids athletic wear too so we can be active together after my breaks. 😉
Check out some more of my favorite Adidas Picks!
I have several of this same bra Don’t Rest Adidas Bra in different colors – it is super supportive and helps (Mom boobs) look perkier at the gym!
I am obsessed with tanks that are higher in the front (better coverage) and open in the back! I have been eyeing this one! Adidas Supernova Tank
By the way, if you are looking for fun ways to be active with your kids check out my SUPER list of 50 activities to get your kids off the couch! They are learning from you the importance of staying fit and active so these ideas will really help when you run out of your own.
So when you’re feeling overwhelmed and need a break, don’t feel guilty! Breaks are as much needed for you as they are for your children! Enjoy it and then get back in there and ROCK your gig as a mom!
What’s your favorite way to take a break?
This post is sponsored by adidas, all opinions are my own.