This post is sponsored by The Kroger Co. all opinions expressed, are as always my own.
7 Immune Boosting Foods that will keep your kids healthy, because healthy kids are happy kids.
Something monumental happened this fall for me.
It is big, kind of scary, and has my emotions all over the place!
For the first time in 13 years, I find myself completely alone… for HOURS every day. It has been strange to have so much time to myself. For years just an hour or two alone was a cherished gift that I savored, like the last piece of chocolate in the kids Halloween candy. But now where I HAVE so much time I find myself looking forward to the hustle and bustle of the kids walking through the door.
I mean they are obviously jazzed about it, and I totally was at first too. I could not wait to get them out the door on their first day…. But here we are a few weeks in, and it is sooo quiet!! It is weird!!
But I am sure I will adjust! – My house is cleaner than it has ever been…. I binged watched an embarrassing amount of TV. Why not, right? – I was working while binging.
Anyways I think I have got this alone thing down… AND now the key is to keep my lovely kids healthy in the germ infested waters that are schools.
So I did some digging and found the top 7 immune boosting foods you can throw in your kid’s lunches to help keep them healthy! Becuase healthy kids = happy kids!
And now for that list…
- Citrus: Time to bust out the ever popular classic at soccer games, the illustrious “oranges smiles” they are packed with vitamin- C! And they are typically a fan favorite with the kids. I know my kids love having them in their lunch or pick up a bag of the easy peel clementines!
- Nuts: This one is a bit trickier with nut allergies the ban on them within some schools. But my kid’s school still allow nuts in lunches, so I take full advantage. My favorite way to pack nuts ( I like to mix it up and add different varieties) in my kid’s school lunches is to make a little trail mix, nuts, dried fruit, maybe some chocolate chips. My kids LOVE it! The great thing about nuts is that they are loaded with Vitamin E and other immune boosting power minerals.
- Oats: Oats contain beta-glucans, a component of fiber that activates killer cells. These are the cells that fight bacteria, viruses, and other intruders in our bodies. So Oatmeal is a fantastic thing to add!! Try making some homemade granola, oatmeal raisin cookies, or packing a bowl of oatmeal in a warming canister.
- Berries: Berries contain loads of anti-oxidants that help to boost your immune system and keeping it fighting! I love to cut up some mixed berries and do a little berry salad in their lunches. Or berry kabobs are always hit!
- Seeds: Think beyond sunflower seeds here, flax, chia, pumpkin, and of course sunflower seeds are an excellent way to get more vitamin E, zinc, and omega 3 fatty acids into your kiddos which all help to strengthen their immune system. The great thing about seeds is they are EASY to add to pretty much anything without altering the taste too much. Sprinkle some chia seeds on their PB&J. Add some shelled pumpkin and sunflower seeds to the aforementioned trail mix. I sneak these into my kid’s food all the time, eight out ten times they are none the wiser.
- Yogurt: The probiotics in the yogurt help stimulate their immune system and help keep it active and healthy. Just reach for the NONsugar laden brands.
- Honey: Honey has antimicrobial properties. It also coats the throat and eases the irritation of the throat. So dual win there! My kids love honey, banana, and peanut butter sandwiches. They are a huge hit at our house! You could also add a spoonful to their unsweetened yogurt!
I hope these ideas help to spark your creativity and help you pack lunches that will keep your kids healthy and happy this fall and winter as the cold and flu season is soon to be upon us!
Don’t neglect your immunity as well – make sure you’re eating these immune-boosting foods within your diet as well! Because if you’re not healthy, the house will become a free for all and total chaos. LOL 😉
For more tips on keeping your kids healthy and well fed make sure and check out Kroger’s fantastic website! They have amazing recipes, meal plans and you can find the brands they carry that are made locally in your area in the Discover Fresh are on their site! So cool!