This Creamy Butternut Squash Mac n’ Cheese is so rich and creamy you won’t even miss the cheese and cream all the delectable goodness without the guilt!
Birthdays are a BIG deal around our house, I decorate the house with pictures of the birthday child, they get to pick their favorite breakfast and dinner. I make a cake. Honestly. I try my best as a Mom to make it one they will always remember, or at the very least they will remember how they felt on their birthday.
This past month was my son’s 10th birthday, I’m not sure how it happened that I now have TWO kids in the double digits.
I keep telling them to stop growing up, but yet time continues to march forward regardless of my constant requests to stop.
So as my son’s special birthday got closer, I asked him of all the meals he could have, what would he like me to make him for his birthday.
His answer floored me.
Let me back up, I have been trying to incorporate more plant-based foods into our family’s meals after watching “What The Health” which unless you want your whole world rocked, I recommend not watching. 😯
As our family diet has swapped to a more “Veganish” profile my kids and husband have been pretty good sports – they have endured some interesting meals, to say the least, as I have been making this transition.
So as you can see that I thought the opportunity for a non-Vegan meal of my son’s choosing would be at the top of his list!
Instead, he requested this butternut mac n’ cheese recipe! I was shocked, but secretly a little proud of his decision. What 10 yr old boy picks Vegan Mac n’ Cheese for his birthday?!
It really is that good, to warrant birthday picking! It is creamy, rich and delicious you won’t even miss the cheese!
- 1 Large Butternut Squash
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Vegan Butter
- 1 Cup Unflavored Almond Milk
- ½ Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 1 box pasta of your choice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Prepare baking sheet with either cooking sheet or parchment paper
- Cut top and bottom off of squash and split in half lightly drizzle with olive oil and season with a bit of kosher salt and pepper. Flip over onto to baking sheet
- Bake squash for 35 to 50 minutes
- Cook Pasta according to package directions during the last 20 minutes
- After squash is finished slip and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes
- Cut up squash into cubes and place into Blender add the butter, nutritional flakes, almond milk, and spices blend until smooth
- Pour over prepared noodles and DIG in!
If you’re a little nervous about the nutritional yeast flakes, I for one was… There is no need to be leery, they actually give the dish a nutty cheesy flavor! I have become a huge fan myself. You can find it at most health foods stores or of course online via Amazon 😉
So if you have a big birthday coming up, try this recipe out! It is 10 year old boy approved!