Thanksgiving is just next week and I’m here to help you navigate the day without gaining a gazillion pounds or back tracking on any progress you have made! So stick with me and together we can do this! First all test your eating healthy smarts by reviewing my eat this not that challenge!!
Dark Meat 4oz with Canned Jellied Sauce Vs. White Meat 4oz with 2 Tbsp Homemade Cranberry Sauce… This one you can probably guess. Although dark meat is actually not too bad for you… sticking with white meat is just a good way to save some fat and calories. So the winner is White Meat! Only 110 vs 130 and stick with homemade cranberry sauce over super processed canned cranberries.
Mashed Potatoes & Gravy Vs. Candied Sweet Potatoes… Generally Sweet Potatoes would win out in a match up such as this, but on Thanksgiving when they’re churched up with sugar and marshmellows you’re better to stick with spuds and Gravy! The Winner Mashed Potatoes and Gravy 140 Calories Vs. 250 Calories
Green Bean Casserole Vs. Stuffing… Both are ones you might want to steer clear of, but the least naughty of the two and the winner of this battle is Green Bean Casserole 100 Calories per serving vs. 175 Calories
Corn Bread with Butter Vs. Dinner Roll with Butter … The extra kick of sugar in corn bread makes it the loser in this match up. The Winner… stick with the Dinner Roll and Butter 130 Calories Vs. 190 Calories
Pumpkin Pie Vs. Pecan Pie …. Don’t be tricked by the “nuts are so healthy for you” craze that’s going down right now! Although Pecans are good for you the mass amounts of Corn Syrup make pecan pie a LOSER! Stick with Pumpkin Pie and you’ll fair much better if you’re going indulge in dessert! Winner Pumpkin Pie 335 Calories Vs. 450 Calories
Need even more Guidance!??!? Here are my TOP 10 Tips to survive Turkey Day without gaining a gazzllion pounds.
- Get out and Move! Don’t forget to get your workout in! I’ll be headed to my gym early for their extended spinning class! 😉 Sign up for a Turkey Trot, or play a game of foozball… or whatever you’re into
- Don’t forget to EAT breakfast!!! Don’t think your doing yourself any favors by “saving” your calories for the big meal! By starving yourself you’re more likely to overeat! Just make sure you eat a healthy breakfast!
- If you’re indulging in some family favorites… watch your portions!! Just take a small scoop and keep moving!
- If you’re in charge of cooking — make some healthy swaps!!! This will help save calories and will help you know that at least one dish served has been healthified! — My favorites swaps — Milk for Heavy Cream, Greek Yogurt – for Sour Cream, Lite Butter for the full fat version, Wheat for White Flour. For more info on swaps check out this post.
- Drink your WATER!!! Don’t forget to drink it up!! This will help you feel full faster!
- When you’re FULL… STOP!!! Fight the urge to overeat!!!
- Don’ drink your calories! A cup of egg nog, a glass of punch, or if you drink a glass of wine/alcohol can add hundreds of calories and no benefits to helping you feel full …just empty calories!
- Load your plate with mostly white turkey meat and fresh veggies!!
- Be SMART!! Stick with the aforementioned wiser choices.
- Above ALL just remember that if you do over indulge… Don’t beat yourself up! Get right back into it the next day… Don’t stretch it out into an extended stay of gluttony 😉
Hope you have an AMAZING Thanksgiving!!! I’m Thankful for you all!!! I LOVE all my readers and I am so Thankful for the LOVE and Support you have show my little blog! 🙂